Friday, November 30, 2012

Diary of a Naughty Puppy

HI my name is Westley!!

It's nice to meet you!  I am a little shy with strangers but Mom and Dad are teaching me that strangers have cookies so that makes them not really scary.  The other day I met a little boy who was kind of afraid of me and didn't know how to hold a cookie properly so eventually I just took it and licked his hand and then he said, "Mommy my hand is wet."

I am trying to be a good boy and learn lots but Mom and Dad say I am a naughty puppy.  Mom says all puppies are naughty 'cos we're puppies.  I don't know what that means - I just want to PLAY!  I especially want to play with the funny-looking puppies here who have long whiskers and long tails but they don't like me.  I walk up to them and play bow but they ignore me so then I get frustrated so sometimes I bark in frustration.  I even offered the stripey one my bestest toy and he still didn't want to play!  They only want to play with each other and with these weird little toys that I am not allowed to have (Mommy takes them away and mutters something about "GI obstruction waiting to happen").  The big gray long-tail hisses at me a lot.  Sometimes he smacks me but I think it is a play smack because it doesn't hurt.  But the other day I ran up to play with the stripey one an' he ran away, an' I thought that was a fun game so I chased him, an' then he jumped up on a chair so I put my paws and face up to say HI but then he smacked me really hard on the nose and that did hurt.  Daddy said it was only a little scratch though.  Mommy keeps wincing and telling me that I am "asking for a corneal laceration" but I don't understand when she uses big words like that.

I know some words though!  I am very smart!  I know "sit" and "come" and I sort of know my name, and Daddy is teaching me a fun game called "take it / give it".  The other day when I picked up Daddy's hat Mom told me "give it" and when I did she gave me a toy instead!  I think that was a good trade.

I am allowed to play in the house off-leash now which I like much better!  I tried to chew a lot at the leash to show Mom and Dad I didn't like it but they said until I proved that I would not hurt the "kitties" (that's what they call the long-whiskered, long-tailed, funny-looking puppies) I had to stay on leash.  It also has to do with something called "housetraining".  I don't know what that means either, but they seem to not want me widdling in the house.  I would rather widdle outside anyway, so when I have to widdle I walk up to the front door to ask to be taken out.  Or if it is late at night and I am in the crate I cry and they come to get me.  I usually only have to go twice during the night.  Dad says he thinks that when I cry at 5:30 I don't really have to go and I just want attention but Mom makes him get up anyway.  It's fun!  Then when I am done I try to curl up on my bed in the living room but Dad makes me go back to the crate.  It's boring but then I fall asleep.

I have a front yard and a back yard to widdle in and Mom and Dad are really excited now that the back yard has a fence so they can let me play in it!  I really like to poop in leaves, though, and I don't always remember where the leaves are in the backyard.  Daddy is learning that he has to walk me over to the leaves 'cos I forget and then I don't poop.  An' yesterday I didn't poop for a long time and I really had to go and Dad wasn't paying attention to how long it had been since I had pooped, so I didn't know what to do, but then I found the room that has a box where the long-tailed puppies poop so I pooped next to that.  And Dad wasn't mad at me 'cos he said it was his fault and not mine.  I tried to do that this morning again after my breakfast but Mommy caught me mid-poop and made me stop and carried me to the front door so Dad could take me out to finish pooping.  So now I have trained them to take me outside right before and after breakfast - this is great!

Today I have a play date and walk scheduled with my cousin Petra - she is not much bigger than me but she is a grown-up dog so I am a little scared of her, but she is nice to me and doesn't mind when I chew on all her toys.  Also her people give me cookies!  And Mom said she's going to set up play dates and walks with another dog called "Bella" who is very little but very nice and I think that sounds good because the dogs next door are really big and kind of scary and they bark at me a lot.  Mom and Dad are very concerned about something they keep calling "socialization" which they said means they want to make sure I meet lots of different dogs and people in new places so that I am not scared and don't develop "a complex".  I am a little scared of new things and like to sit on Dad's feet when I first see them but if they have cookies then I am not scared so much. 

I still have the itchies and Mom and Dad give me a special bath twice a week and medicine every day for it.  Mom called me "a mangy dog" and Dad got offended but Mom said I'm allowed to be mangy 'cos I have mange.  If the mange is the reason they keep bathing me I don't like it 'cos I don't like baths!  Mom says that the worms in my belly are gone though - I didn't even get to meet them!

Ok I have to go play now k bye!

lots of licks,

Westley

 

No comments:

Post a Comment